Monday, February 22, 2010

Sick Baby Girl

Our Little M is very sick. She started with the usual snotty nose last Thursday but it quickly morphed into something else. Friday I took her to a walk in with a low grade fever, cough and stuffy nose. The doctor told us there was nothing to treat with medicine as of yet. Fast forward to Sunday morning and Little M wakes up with a 103.8. I called the triage line where I was told that she did need to see a doctor but it would be okay to give her Tylenol or Motrin to keep her temp down until she could be seen. At 5a.m. this morning she had another high fever so, I gave her Motrin. At 8:30 I called her pediatrician and got her in at 10:50. I didn't give her anymore medicine so that the doctor could see her as I have been seeing her. At the Dr her temp was 99.8 right at 11:00. The doctor swabbed her for RSV and sent her for an x-ray because her lungs didn't sound "bad" but not "great" either. And since you well know that my nephew is seriously ill with pneumonia in the hospital still after 18 days, you can imagine how scared I am. My mom came when she found out about the x-ray because a baby getting an x-ray is traumatic for both baby and mom. I experienced this with my son and she was there then too. When we got back to the doctor's office from outpatient I told the receptionist we were back and I saw them give a 'look' and they took us back to a room. I told my mom I bet that meant her RSV was positive, that doctors office isn't quick about anything. She also has an area on her lung that is questionable and can become problematic. After the doctor I ran to Walmart to get a filter for her humidifier while my mom stayed in the car. I went home after that and took her temp and it was 105.5! I nearly fell over and started shaking. I happened to be on the phone with my husband who jolted me back to reality. He said to call the doctor so I did and the doctor's office didn't even give me the run around. They got me straight back to the doctor himself. He told me what to do, I did it and now her fever is at a cool 99.8-101. So, my alarms are set (in case I fall asleep) to administer Motrin and Tylenol every 4 hours. I'm a nervous wreck with her labored breathing. I'm afraid she will have a low pulse ox and I won't know it. You know, typical mom fears. I know it's nothing new, mom's worry about their kids, that is just how we are created. But for now, this is the biggest thing in my world. Please pray for our little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment