Saturday, September 11, 2010

Blast from the Past

Today I went to a Ladies Breakfast at my church with the title "Leaving a Legacy". It was all about what we will leave behind and partly about writing out your life story including the good, the bad, and the ugly for our children and their children. I'm excited to get started on it. I hope as I delve into my past I will come to peace with somethings and be able to reset my life on forward.
Do you remember Popples? They are an 80's plush toy. I had this purple one and I still have it (not sure where though) Anyway, my house burned down to the ground in 1987, I was six years old, in the first grade, and class pictures were the next day (not good seeing as how my entire wardrobe burned in the fire). I had been with my dad for a visit and it was time for him to take me home to my mom. I remember seeing all these huge fire hoses all over my street and my eyes just kind of followed the winding hose to the nozzle with a powerful stream of water aimed directly at my house (did I mention it was around Christmas, so all my presents burned too). Time stood still and all I could think of is "MARY ANN (my popples' name) IS IN MY ROOM, SOMEONE SAVE MARY ANN!!!!!" My dad, my hero, ran into to burning house and found my Mary Ann, my soft purple and pink Popples. This is the reason I still have Mary Ann. She was my whole world and I didn't care one bit that she smelled as if she just came from a smoke stack. A memory...of long ago...yet I can still see the fire, smell the smoke, and feel the heat. I will never know what it was like for my dad to run into a burning house. But I do know, now, what that love is like, because, I would do the same. I hope and pray that I can pass that feeling onto my own two children.

No comments:

Post a Comment